Friday, October 8, 2010

My baking adventures this week...

This week was a very busy baking week for me..I think it was actually a record!!!  I had an order for my signature pineapple cake for Monday.  This cake has been my go-to cake for years now.  It's very moist and light although when you carry it...it's heavy because of the different layers..go figure??  Today I had 3 orders due.  And I had adventures along the way.  Since all the orders were due on the same day...I started baking what I could on Wednesday night.  I hate stressing out about baking..so I try to take the natural steps when I can and bake on different nights.  So..Wednesday night I made the brownie base for my brownie cheesecake.  I always am tempted to try different brownie recipes but at the end of the day, I always go to my favorite recipe which is the one bowl brownie.  Next was the chocolate mayonnaise cupcake.  This was the first time I made this recipe and am so thankful for my co-workers that are my guinea pigs.  My co-worker (the birthday girl) wanted a praline frosting so I looked online and the closest thing I could find was the nutella frosting.  I substituted the praline spread she gave me for the nutella and it was pretty good.  I had the idea that I wanted the frosting to also double as filling in the middle but need to work on getting more in the cupcake to get the full effect.  My last cake was a "Laker" cake.  I've made the design before..but I got an idea that I wanted one layer of the cake purple and the other gold.  My first attempt was not successful I think.  I wasn't happy with how the purple layer came out...so I tossed it.  I should have tried to look on the inside to see if it was purple or not..but I was so disappointed that it went in the trash last night.  Figured the food coloring wasn't strong enough..so Thursday night I would use the Wilton gel.  So..now my schedule got a little backed up since I had to make the Laker cake again last night.  Baked the Laker cake...baked the cheesecake and frosted the cupcakes.  I still wasn't happy with the cake but I had no choice.  It was past 10:00 and still had to decorate the cake.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that it did turn out purple.
I know it looks blue-ish in the picture but in real life it is purple!!  Oh...and on top of this on Tuesday I had my first cake decorating class.  Indeed it was a busy baking week for me. 

1 comment: